Cut to the News
Cut through the clutter to today's top news
February 2, 2021
Good morning
Welcome to today's top news.
Leading the News . . .
Biden faces crossroads on COVID relief bill . . . President Biden is facing a crossroads as he decides whether to work with the GOP on a coronavirus relief compromise or go for a larger package that likely won’t garner any Republican support. Biden has repeatedly said he wants the COVID-19 bill to be bipartisan but is also adamant that a stimulus bill must pass, with or without GOP lawmakers. The Hill
White House: Biden will not accept a scaled-down virus relief bill . . . After meeting with Republican senators at the White House on Monday, President Joe Biden appeared poised to push forward with his $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief plan even if it fails to draw Republican support. While the White House termed Biden’s discussion with 10 Republicans who pitched a downsized relief effort as “productive,” the Democratic president
told the senators their plan did not go far enough. The Republicans who attended the meeting are pushing a COVID-19 relief proposal about one third the size of Biden’s. Reuters
More Americans have now been vaccinated for COVID-19 than infected . . . More Americans have been vaccinated for COVID-19, as of Monday, than have been infected with the illness as the nationwide inoculation rollout continues. According to a Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker, 26.5 million people in the US have now received at least one dose of the vaccine, surpassing the 26.2 million coronavirus cases since the onset of the
pandemic. About 7.8% of Americans have now received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, while 1.8% of the population is fully vaccinated, the report said. New York Post
|
|
Graham warns Dems about calling witnesses during Trump impeachment . . . Sen. Lindsey Graham, the outgoing chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told Fox News Monday night that if Democrats call one witness during former President Trump’s impeachment trial next week, they would be "opening a can of worms" and Republicans will respond by calling in the FBI to testify.
Democrats say Trump needs to be held responsible for the deadly riot at the Capitol last month. They want to convict Trump on one count of "incitement of insurrection. The trial is scheduled to begin on February 9. Fox News
Trump lawyer to make First Amendment case at impeachment trial . . . A lawyer representing former President Trump at his impeachment trial next week plans to argue that convicting Trump of inciting a riot would imperil all political speech. Speaking Monday night on Fox News's “Hannity,” attorney David Schoen laid out a three-pronged strategy for Trump’s defense. Schoen and attorney Bruce Castor plan to argue that it is
unconstitutional to impeach a former president, that some of the rioters planned to storm the Capitol before Trump addressed his supporters and that convicting Trump would set a precedent that could severely curtail political speech going forward. The Hill
Bannon urging Trump to push stolen election claims during Senate impeachment trial . . . Advisers to former President Donald Trump are split on devising an impeachment defense, with Steve Bannon among those urging him to turn the Senate trial into a political bear fight by claiming once again that the election was stolen, according to a source familiar with discussions. Trump’s legal team is scrambling to devise a strategy after he in
recent days replaced five lawyers who were reluctant to relitigate what they saw as flimsy allegations of voter fraud. While the Republican Party prefers arguing that the impeachment of a former president is unconstitutional, his allies fear Trump is gambling on a made-for-television, scorched-earth defense that risks defeat. Washington Examiner
Bikers for Trump kickstarts 2024 White House bid . . . Bikers for Trump isn’t waiting for the former president to clear his Senate impeachment trial next week. Instead, the biker group roared ahead Monday with the launch of its Draft Donald Trump for President 2024 campaign. “If President Trump enters the 2024 race, he would be the clear favorite to win the presidency and put an immediate stop to the left’s radical, Socialist,
anti-American agenda,” Bikers for Trump leader Chris Cox wrote in an email to supporters that announced the Draft Trump campaign and sought contributions. Washington Times
Trump's Save America PAC starts 2021 with more than $31M, filings show . . . The Save America PAC that former President Donald Trump formed just after Election Day has at least $31.2 million in its coffers, according to a report filed with the Federal Election Commission. The PAC allows Trump to continue to fundraise and maintain his hold on the Republican Party following his departure from the White House. But so far, the filings
state that Save America has only spent around $218,000 by the end of last year – all in merchant fees to WinRed, a GOP online fundraising platform designed to compete with Democrats in the battle for small-dollar campaign donations. Fox News
|
|
Chief of Strategic Command warns of possible nuclear war with Russia, China . . . The United States must be ready for a nuclear war with China or Russia and seek new ways to deter both countries’ use of newly acquired advanced strategic weapons, the commander of the U.S. Strategic Command Adm. Charles Richard warns in a major new review of the global balance of nuclear forces. “There is a real possibility that a regional
crisis with Russia or China could escalate quickly to a conflict involving nuclear weapons, if they perceived a conventional loss would threaten the regime or state,” the four-star admiral wrote in a blunt and detailed threat assessment. Washington Times
Yeah, but SECDEF has just designated climate change as a major national security risk, so why worry about Russia and China?
Israel sees 6-month Iran nuclear breakout, longer than Blinken projection . . . Israel’s energy minister said on Tuesday it would take Iran around six months to produce enough fissile material for a single nuclear weapon, a timeline almost twice as long as that anticipated by a senior member of the Biden administration. Israel is wary of the Biden administration’s intent to reenter the 2015 Iranian nuclear deal and has long opposed the
agreement. Washington argues that the previous Trump administration’s withdrawal from the deal backfired by prompting Iran to abandon caps on nuclear activities. Reuters
Iran Launches New Rocket, Showing Advances in Potential Missile Technology . . . Iran tested a new rocket on Monday with improved technology that could be used in its missile program, its latest attempt to raise the stakes for the Biden administration ahead of potential negotiations over a new nuclear deal. The new rocket, named Zuljanah, was developed under a government-backed program to send civilian satellites into orbit 310 miles
above ground, according to a spokesman for the Iranian Defense Ministry’s Space Department. The technology is easily transferable to Iran’s military missile program run by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, experts say. The Zuljanah features a solid-fuel-propelled motor that is the largest yet exhibited by Iran. Wall Street Journal
|
|
Chinese state newspaper omits Jack Ma from list of entrepreneurial leaders . . . Alibaba Group founder Jack Ma has been left off a list of Chinese entrepreneurial leaders published by state media - the snub underscoring how just far he has fallen out of favor with Beijing. China’s best known businessman was not mentioned in an front-page article published by the Shanghai Securities News published on Tuesday when Alibaba also is
reporting its latest quarterly earnings. The catalyst for Ma’s current woes was an Oct. 24 speech in which he blasted China’s regulatory system. But Israeli Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz said the Trump administration “seriously damaged Iran’s nuclear project and entire force build-up”. Reuters
|
|
Megadonors Pour Millions Into ‘Get Out the Vote’ Effort for Dems . . . A rapidly growing $800 million dark money network helped anonymous donors pour a record amount of money into voter registration groups focused on increasing Democratic Party turnout ahead of the 2020 election. The Tides Foundation, an organization that allows left-wing donors to fund political activism anonymously, raised over $800 million across its
nonprofit network in 2019, a dramatic rise over previous figures. Much of that money went to "Get Out the Vote" (GOTV) campaigns in the 2020 election cycle, exploiting IRS nonprofit rules to register new voters in Democratic-leaning areas that helped deliver key battleground states to President Joe Biden. Washington Free Beacon
Not a bad return on investment.
Anti-conservatives Study About Big Tech Censorship Was Funded By A Major Biden Donor . . . A study from New York University released on Monday that dismisses conservative allegations of Big Tech bias and calls for President Joe Biden to establish a Digital Regulatory Agency was funded by Craig Newmark, a billionaire tech titan who donated $100,000 to Biden’s campaign victory fund. The study, entitled “False Accusation: The Unfounded Claim
that Social Media Companies Censor Conservatives,” also defends decisions by Facebook and Twitter to both ban President Donald Trump from their platforms last month. The study also accuses conservatives of pushing “political disinformation” through their accusations that tech companies harbor anti-conservative bias. Daily
Caller
Green energy industry layered Biden with greenbacks and will reap its reward . . . The green industry heavily relies on government-awarded funds, and with Biden promising to lean heavily in their direction, the industry as a whole contributed more than $11 million in political donations in 2020, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. The center noted that while this amount pales in comparison to the $1 billion Biden’s campaign raised
in total, it is still more than double what the industry had given in the past. Biden’s campaign, in particular, received more than $3 million that had been raised by Clean Energy for Biden. White House Dossier
First private space crew paying $55M each to fly to station on a SpaceX rocket . . . The first private space station crew was introduced Tuesday: Three men who are each paying $55 million to fly on a SpaceX rocket. They’ll be led by a former NASA astronaut now working for Axiom Space, the Houston company that arranged the trip for next January. The first crew will spend eight days at the space station, and will take one or two days
to get there aboard a SpaceX Dragon capsule following liftoff from Cape Canaveral.
Russia has been in the off-the-planet tourism business for years, selling rides to the International Space Station since 200. Other space companies like Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic and Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin plan to take paying customers on up-and-down flights lasting just minutes. New York Post
|
|
White House reviewing whether Trump should continue receiving intel briefings . . . The White House is conducting a review to determine whether former President Trump should continue receiving intelligence briefings now that he has left office.
Speaking at the White House press briefing on Monday, spokeswoman Jen Psaki said President Biden’s national security team is looking into the matter. Former presidents typically have access to intelligence briefings after leaving office. However, Democrats — and even some former Trump administration officials — have warned that the former president cannot be trusted with national security secrets, believing he could reveal sensitive information or seek to profit off of it. The Hill
Outrageous. Dems and fake whistleblowers are the ones who constantly leaked classified info, such as Trump's phone calls with world leaders. And now, they are projecting their malign intentions on Trump.
|
|
Berlin man caught directing flight traffic with radio . . . A man has been arrested in Berlin on allegations he made radio contact with air traffic, including police helicopters, and gave fake flight orders while impersonating an aviation official, German police said Friday. The 32-year-old was arrested Thursday night in the capital. Police were able to swoop in on his apartment after he made contact with a police helicopter
that was dispatched to the neighborhood in the hope of flushing him out. During a search of his home, police found two radios that transmitted on the frequencies needed to make contact with aircraft. The man is alleged to have made contact with pilots of passenger and transport aircraft, as well as state and federal police helicopters, over the past six months, giving “potentially dangerous” instructions and becoming increasingly professional with his communications. No accidents
or other incidents are known to have been caused by his actions, police said. Associated Press
|
|
Do you love Cut to the News? Let your family and friends know about it! They'll thank you for it. Spread the word . . .
By Email - use the message that pops up or write your own.
On Facebook - On FB, write your own message
Thank you for doing it.
Have a great day.
Rebekah
Rebekah Koffler
Got this from a friend? Subscribe here and get Cut to the News sent to your Inbox every morning.
|
|
|